My Photo
Name:
Location: Hermosillo, Mexico

Life insists on imposing itself like a bad house guest. I still look for meaning when most people around me are just trying to find the breaks. I'm attempting both and laughing so I don't cry. No one reads this sh*t.

Monday, December 12, 2005

Away with me...

It seems we stood and talked like this before
We looked at each other in the same way then
But I can't remember where or when
The clothes you're wearing and the clothes you wore
The smile you are smiling you were smiling then
But I can't remember where or when


-------


Once I saw a little bird
no more than a baby
I have written about this, although
I cannot presume for you to remember
or care.
But there was a baby bird on top of a staircase
staring out into the world
hoping the wind would pick it up
by its barely feathered wings
and let him out the window.
And I looked at it
and it looked back at me and
there was such awe in that simple encounter.
I saw it... and stared
and dared not breathe
dared not even breathe
I silently beheld and still I stood
because it seemed so frail
and wondrous a thing to behold.
It looked at me
it looked at me and seemed
to hold its breath
to hold its breath and stare
and I wondered if it wanted the moment
to last
or end.
And something inside me ached
as I leaned forward
and crouched down
ever so slowly
afraid of disturbing it
afraid of scaring it into an early
and unfortunate attempt at flight.
And I got so close
so close I could see with details
its tiny, scruffy feathers
and those impossible, spindly legs
it stood on.

I guess I could have gotten even closer
close enough to take it in my hand
and take it home.
But memory serves me well
and I was afraid of doing it harm
by claiming it as mine.

So I did not claim him
to this day, I hope he's well
but I can't help but wonder...
wonder...
if he remembers the moment
or if I actually did right
by turning away.

But then there is today...
and today I look in your eyes
and you seem so scared
and I wonder if you want the moment to last
or if you want for me to turn away.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home